How to find VRR in PS5 settings and which games support it
(Pocket-lint) – Sony has announced that Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) support will be rolling out to the PlayStation 5 this week via a software update. Here’s everything you need to know about the feature, including why it’s important.
What does VRR do on PS5?
- Synchronizes display refresh rate with PS5 graphics output
- Improves visual performance
- Your PS5 must be connected to an HDMI 2.1 VRR compatible TV or monitor
In a blog post, Sony explained how VRR works on the PS5: “On HDMI 2.1 VRR-enabled TVs and PC monitors, VRR dynamically synchronizes the display refresh rate with the graphics output of the PS5 console”, wrote Sony’s Hideaki Nishino. “This improves the visual performance of PS5 games by minimizing or eliminating visual artifacts, such as frame timing issues and screen tearing.”
Want to know more about VRR? Check out Pocket-lint’s in-depth guide to variable refresh rates, in terms of TV gaming technology, here.
When will VRR be available on PS5?
- VRR will arrive globally via a PS5 update starting the week of April 25
- Make sure you are connected to the internet to receive the update
- Once you receive the update, VRR will be enabled for supported games
The software update with VRR support will be released globally starting the week of April 25, 2022, while select games will get VRR support in the “coming weeks”, according to Sony.
Which PS5 games support VRR?
The following games will support VRR on the PS5:
- Astro’s Playroom
- Call of Duty: Vanguard
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
- Destiny 2
- Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
- Dirt 5
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
- Resident Evil Village
- The wonders of Tiny Tina
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
- Tribes of Midgard
Can you use VRR on unsupported games?
- VRR must be enabled in settings for unsupported games
- Go to the video output screen in settings (see below for step by step instructions)
Yes. Sony will let you apply VRR to games that don’t support it – but it needs to be enabled in your PS5 settings. Sony’s Nishino said your results may vary “depending on the TV you’re using, the game you’re playing, and the visual mode you’ve selected for a particular game (if it supports multiple modes)”.
How to Find VRR in PS5 Settings
- On your PS5, go to Settings > Screen & Video > Video Output > VRR
From the video output screen in your PS5’s settings menu, you can find VRR and, if you want, toggle on “Apply to unsupported games”. Otherwise, VRR is an automatic feature on your PS5 for supported games.
Best PS4 games 2022: All the PlayStation 4 titles every gamer should play
Why is VRR important on the PS5?
With the rollout of support for VRR support, Sony is catching up with Microsoft’s Xbox Series X/S consoles, which both offer VRR functionality. Sony first announced in March 2022 that a VRR feature would be coming soon.
Want to know more?
See this Sony VRR page for more details.
Written by Maggie Tillman.